Dave Dye, CCO and Founder of LOVE or FEAR / Owner of Thingy, London
Have you noticed how little effort people put into answering this question?
‘Did this…did that’.
No research, no evidence, just making stuff up.
I, on the other-hand, being a true professional, took the brief seriously.
For a start, I enlisted help, my mate Parv, best sound engineer in the business (Wave Studios, book now while stocks last!).
We then sat down and plotted out what we’d need to adequately answer the question.
Data, across the relevant areas.
Opinions from the movers and shakers.
A way of testing the data through isolation.
All without any money changing hands?
The answer was simple.
Reach out to industry figures pretending to have a podcast about isolation, then pump them for as much information as possible.
We’d need a name that sounded legit…bingo! Wave+Dave!
Perfect, now who should we talk to?
We decided our targets needed to fit two key criteria; they should be industry players, but gullible enough to fall for our scheme.
It worked like a dream, we got everyone from directors like Juan Cabral to CCO’s like Nils Leonard, from editors like Paul Watts to bloggers like George Tannenbaum, from producers like Chalkley to Sirs like Sir John Hegarty.
Before long they were giving us their most personal data and innermost thoughts.
Many even telling us how much loo roll they were using. I kid you not.
To avoid raising suspicion, we sprinkled these tapes across the places legit podcasts are found; Spotify, Soundcloud and iTunes, Oh yeah, we thought it through.
Anyhow, we haven’t finished scraping enough data yet, but I can give you a snapshot of what’s trending.
1. Creatives are missing people more than they’d ever imagined.
2. Our industry would prefer Joe Exotic to handle the pandemic response rather than Donald Trump.
3. Nobody wants to go back to working as they did previously, (a mix of home and office is coming through strongly).
4. Birds sing louder nowadays.
5. People are drinking less alcohol (after a crazy start).
6. Michael Jordan was very good at basketball.
7. Owning 90 loo rolls is too many (Tony Barry), 1 is too few (Yan Elliott).
8. Influencers will be less influential moving forward.
9. Tim Riley is reading Camus.
10. You can live ‘in the sticks’ or ‘in the middle of nowhere’ but not ‘in the middle of the sticks’ (Sean Doyle).
I’ll update you when we have more.
(Let’s keep this between us, we’re hoping to reel in Dan Weiden and Dave Droga soon, don’t want them catching on.)